Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1 John 2:15
It seems to me, the whole world is in the Halloween Spirit lately. Every commercial, every cartoon - even Sesame Street (WHAT?!) Every store. McDonalds practically forces our kids to question us about Halloween by giving kids meals in vampire buckets with jaco-lantern stickers for decoration.
Let me reassure you - if you celebrate Halloween I'm NOT judging...
I've let the little voice get in my head "what's so bad about Halloween, I dressed up as a kid and I turned out ok right?"
I remember as a kid my most favorite Halloween costume, The Little Mermaid, the costume was perfect. The Little Mermaid was my most favorite movie (still is and I'm 25 haha) I can remember running through a snow blizzard to get candy at the mall from all the stores on Halloween night. When my kids were born I dressed them both up as bumble bees, the most adorable costumes ever...
Then something changed.
Jesus found me, and I found Him and all of a sudden there were some things that didn't matter any more. My Pastor taught on what Halloween really meant after I had already decorated for the year and all of a sudden I wanted nothing more than to get everything ghostly and ghouly out of my house as soon as possible.
With Jesus it's not about rules and regulations - it's about relationship and if you love someone you want to do whatever you can to make Him happy, make Him smile and let the world know that you live only for Him.
It seems to me when the whole world is celebrating something...maybe that's when God's children should run as fast as we can in the opposite direction...
10 Reasons why I don't celebrate Halloween
1) I'm rebellious the whole world is doing it so I refuse
2) I learned how Halloween Started
3) I pray every day and night that my daughters nightmares would go away, why in God's name would I bring ghosts and goblins and vampires and all the scary things into my house for her to see every day, for a whole month?
4) Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1 John 2:15
5) Halloween candy is EXPENSIVE
6) My children and I do not need all that candy in our house, especially when I'm trying to lose weight - can we say temptation, whew!
7) Trick or Treat literally means - give me candy or I'm going to play a trick on you, why would I want my kids living with that attitude, "give me or I'm going to seek revenge"
8) They are real princes and princesses in the Kingdom of God, they don't need to pretend
9) Dressing up as ghosts and goblins and dead things walks a very thin line on celebrating death and evil when what we should be doing is celebrating life and love and everything praise worthy.
10) I learned what celebrating Halloween really means
All of the celebration makes me really uncomfortable. There are some people in my life that don't understand, it's dressing up, it's candy... what's the harm right. My kids play dress up, we have princess dresses and dragon costumes and things like that but I don't want to give Satan one single foothold in my house, bringing death and scary things in my home is just opening the door for much worse things don't you think?
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippians 4:8
What are your thoughts on Halloween? Let the Holy Spirit guide and direct you, when making decisions about your family. Like I said I'm not judging, just curious about your family beliefs.