Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Turn Around

Yesterday one of my sweet sisters sent her Morning Bible Reading Reflection with this little treasure in it...

He then brought me into the inner court of the house of the Lord, and there at the entrance to the temple, between the portico and the altar, were about twenty-five men. With their backs towards the temple of the Lord, and their faces toward the east, they were bowing down to the sun in the east. Ezekiel 8:16 They were facing the wrong way. Are you looking for a savior? Just turn around!

This is exactly what I needed to hear at the exact moment when everything was going crazy in my house. It wasn't 5 minutes after we woke up yesterday that my kids started in on their temper tantrum (I think someone stole someone's toy or book or maybe just breathed the same air as the other one, there's no telling) and I had to yell at them to stop hitting. Well I ended up putting them back to bed for a do-over and they finally stopped yelling at each other and calmed down enough for me to calmly explain that they need to be nice and share their toys.

This is how it has been for the past two weeks, maybe longer. Peace does not exist in our house. For some reason it has disappeared. I know I have been the cause of some of this issue because the woman sets the tone for her home but surely I can't be the cause of all the crankiness. Surely peace will return to us some how.

Well anyway when I got her email I realized that I was turned the wrong way. I was thinking about me, I'm a failure, I'm causing my kids to be crazy...me me me. Dare I say, I was worshipping myself and my problems instead of worshipping God.

When we are focused on ourselves, our problems seem so so much larger. Money problems, marriage problems, job problems, kid problems. We all have issues but if we share those issues with Jesus, if we turn around to face the Savior the problems don't have nearly the power up against an all mighty all powerful all loving Savior.

Do you need a Savior today? Turn around, focus on Jesus.

4 comments:

Jenifer Metzger said...

Love this Mandy! I don't want to focus on any of the problems, but on God! I had never thought of it in the way you said, but when we focus on us and our problems, we are making it an idol of sorts. Great post!

Unknown said...

That scripture really spoke to me too. "God" (the temple) was right behind these men, but instead they were worshiping the sun. And we do the same thing. We stand there facing our problems when God is right behind us. We just need to turn around. Love this song by Matt Maher too!

Heidi said...

Turning around now... thank you, I needed these words today! Why do we even bother trying to handle it on our own... I guess old habits do die hard. Blessings!

PS... your site is gorgeous :)

Phather Phil Malmstrom said...

Wonderful post Mandy.. Sometimes we simply need to look where we're headed, and realize that we're facing the wrong way before we can make progress. Focused on ourselves is not the right path!

Have a Blessed Day!