Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Talents are gifts

Do you have a talent? Something you're really good at. Maybe it's singing, or dancing or playing an instrument? Maybe you haven't discovered your talent or passion yet? The truth is God gives each of us a gift to use for His glory. We each have something we are good at but here's the thing...are we using it for God or are we choosing to hide it and be lazy?

To one He gave 5 talents, to another 2 talents and to another 1 talent.
Each according to his ability. Matthew 25:15

I play the clarinet. In highschool I was, in every sense a "band geek". I played at all the concerts, all of the foot ball games. I competed for rank as well as medals. My senior year I was part of a woodwind quartet and we actually did really well, dispite my horrible on going stage fright. I loved playing for concert band, all of us coming together to make beautiful music just made my heart soar.

In college I played a little but after I lost two people very dear to me, I got very angry and very sad and just didn't feel like making music anymore. Latley I've been feeling God nudge my heart. I've been hearing the call of the music in my ears.

Matthew 25:14-30 describes the parable of the talents. A talent back then was referred to as a sum of money. I believe, however, that Jesus was also talking about any gifts God gives us.

The man who had 5 talents went at once and put his money to work and gained 5 more. So also the one with 2 talents went out and gained 2 more...Matthew 25:16-17

I haven't made music in probably 6 years. The fact is, I don't know if I remember the notes anymore. I don't know the music vocabulary either. However..even with all my doubts and nerves God still reigns. He gave me the gift of music, what makes me think He's not big enough to bring all those memories back. When you use your gifts for God's glory, He will magnify whatever you give Him.

The man who had received the 5 talents brought back the other 5. Master, he said, you have entrusted me with 5 talents. See I have gained 5 more. His Master replied, "well done, good and faithful servant". Matthew 25:20-21

God will use your your abilities and talents to touch others powerfully. If you don't know what your gift is then pray, He will reveal it. If you do know, but are choosing to do nothing then I urge you 1, read the end of the parable and 2, bring it out. Use it for God's glory and I know you will be amazed at how God will use it.

I will be on this journey with you and I will start playing again, when the time is right and I lay my nerves down then God will show me how to use my music to touch someone.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love watching you grow - it encourages me to press in closer to God. Thank you for your example of saying Yes to God.

Jenifer Metzger said...

I am so glad you are letting God use you in this way. I believe if He is leading you to play again, it will come back to you easily. I will keep you in prayer as you start to play again.

Kelli said...

Your are right, God does use our abilities and gifts to touch others powerfully. It still amazes me that He chooses to use us to bring others to himself. I wish I had the gift of music! My daughter is 7 and plays violin. I love that she's so good at that, since I don't have a musical bone in my body! ;) You have another gift too my friend.. The gift of encouragement! Enjoyed reading your post!!!